Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Ok. So I don't actually want it to snow anymore. But maybe if I pretend that I do...it will stop.

Training is over but we haven't really been able to start work because of bad weather. Its been snowing at high elevations failrly often, and temperatures are still in the 20s or even the teens overnight. Doesn't make me a very happy camper. Literally.

The project is getting off to a slow start--lots of meadows, maps, data sheets, points, etc. I hope to really get started this Saturday after the snow storm passes. Its been challenging because there are so many meadows, all at different elevations and also different latitudes. Its hard to determine which sites to hit up first--we want the ones where the birds have started their breeding activities...but there are a lot of factors that fall into play.

In the meantime, I took a few days off to go meet Kristen in Fresno for some bridesmaid dress shopping (ugh!). And we headed out to the Sierra foothills for some camping and beer drinking. We had a sweet tent spot along the river...

The hiking choices were not the best--we saw more cows than birds--but all in all it was a really fun weekend! Most of all I'm glad I got to see Kristen for longer than a few hours.

No comments: