Thursday, January 5, 2012

D.C Area Bucket List

Happy New Year!  I've been slacking on my blog posts but will try to do better.  A new year brings New Year's Resolutions...dun dun dun. Some people love 'em, and some refuse to make them.  What are they exactly?

res·o·lu·tion

noun
1.
a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usuallyafter voting, by a formal organizationa legislature, a club,or other group. Compare concurrent resolutionjoint resolution.
2.
a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3.
the act of resolving or determining upon an action or courseof action, method, procedure, etc.
4.
the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
5.
the act or process of resolving or separating into constituentor elementary parts.

Number two seems to fit best.  But I kind of like numbers 3 and 5 because they involve planning and breaking things into parts--which makes success a more likely outcome (or so they say).  Personally, I don't think you should save resolutions for January only.  I tend to make them throughout the year if I feel myself slipping into habits I don't like.  And if I don't stick to them, ah well, life goes on.

I'm not sure how long I'll be living in the DC area, but I want to make the most of it while I'm here.  So instead of a list of resolutions for 2012, this is my bucket list for the area--and the best part is that most of these places are free!  If I can do it all in a year, that will be great.  I've already crossed a few off, and will continue to do so throughout the year.  (I like crossing things off lists so much that I tend to add things just to cross them off).  Food/restaurants not included--those go on their own list.  :-)


National Botanic Gardens
National Arboretum
Arlington National Cemetery
Air and Space Museum
National Zoo
American History Museum
Ford’s Theatre Tour and Performance
National Cathedral
Lincoln Memorial
Natural History Museum
Washington Monument
American Indian Museum
Jefferson Memorial
National Christmas Tree
US Capitol
White House
National Aquarium
American Art Museum
Breakfast at Eastern Market
Library of Congress
National Archives
Newseum
National Museum of African Art
Holocaust Museum
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
Ice Skate at the National Gallery of Art
Great Falls Park
The Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage
Meridian Hill Park drum circle
National Gallery of Art
Rock Creek Park
Union Station
Hike or bike a section of the C&O Canal Towpath
National Cherry Blossom Festival
Smithsonian Folklife Festival

No comments: