Wednesday, May 20, 2009

They're Here!

The WIFLs are here! The WIFLs are here! You know, last year I tried not to make a huge deal out of the WIFL arrival because my other study species (DUFL) would be jealous. But I just can't help being excited about seeing my first WIFL of the year. After a few meadow visits with no WIFLs it was music to my ears when I heard a fitz-bew this morning. Actually I thought I was imagining it...

Three cute WIFL males were singing their hearts out this morning at Milton. I love how they throw back their heads and give it their all when they sing from the tops of snags and high pine branches. The river is still very deep from all of the snow melt so I decided not to attempt crossing this time. Starting off the season with wet waders is a bad idea (they never dry!). Luckily I brought my scope--so Hannah and I resighted those badboys from across the river. Only one was banded--which still makes me wonder where on earth are all the unbanded birds coming from?! I thought we had that under control...

So my quest this season is to find out what meadow near Milton could be pumping out WIFL babies that we are missing. Its possible they were from Webber--sometimes we don't band all the nestlings there. But the more exciting option is to go on a road trip (or by foot) and look for willow in undiscovered meadows (well, at least new to me).

I'll keep you posted on the Milton UB bird mystery...

And by the way, the male DUFL are here too and ready to go--maybe even pairing up. So we'll be kicking it into high gear soon enough. Those guys are great too! Them and their little bobbing tails and little do-hic bean dip calls!

1 comment: