Saturday, October 16, 2010

Race to see all the states

Here is the update on my travels. I have 6 states left to visit before being able to say that I've been to them all. I missed Rhode Island because of bad weather and lack of time during my New England trip. Its kinda easy to miss anyway.
Not too worried about Iowa because Amber is there--so I will likely get my butt out there to see her soon. Kentucky is home to Mammoth Caves National Park which I will likely visit in early November. Nebraska. Hmm Nebraska. Well...there is a AFO/COS/WOS meeting (for bird nerds) in Kearney, Nebraska this March. I have no idea where I'll be at that time, but it would be a pretty cool opportunity to go and see the spring migration of Sandhill Cranes, geese and ducks in the Platte River and Rainwater Basin while I'm there. Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota would be a check for me on my mission to visit all of the parks (and while I'm that far north I could also check out Voyageurs in Minnesota). And finally...Hawaii. Determined to get there someday and see as much of it as possible. Where there's a will, there's a way.

While I have the opportunity--I'd like to rant about something. Everyone always likes to ask the trivia question, "What's the only state that doesn't have a National Park?" And the answer is Delaware. First of all, just so everyone knows, there are 57 National Parks (the big ones) and many states do not have one (especially in the east). So places like Rhode Island and Vermont get credit for National Corridors, Memorials, Seashores, Historic Sites, Scenic Trails, etc. -- even though they are not all that impressive. I'm not sure why Delaware doesn't SOMETHING that would fall under one of those categories--in fact I think they could pull off a National Seashore or National Park (White Clay Creek would be on par with Ohio's scattered, fragmented Cuyahoga Valley that runs along a MAJOR highway and a polluted river). But it just hasn't happened yet. Finally, I'd like to mention that Delaware does have two National Wildlife Refuges (they fall under U.S. FWS, not NPS) and 17 state parks.

There. I defended Delaware even though I'd really rather not live here anymore (I'm sorry Delaware, you just don't have enough mountains or jobs).

3 comments:

anw said...

I vote for a trip to Iowa! Also, I know how you feel about defending Delaware...I constantly have to defend Iowa. For what reason I'm not exactly sure, but I have enough pride that I have to.

skradepa said...

Seriously, you haven't been to Iowa? Clearly you and anw are not that good of friends if she could live here for 2 years and go without a visit. Of course you DID go visit her in PR but I can guess your motivation for that. Congrats on defending and getting a job, that's awesome news. (I'm also surprised anw claims she has to defend IA, I mostly hear her bashing it and having to defend the "Cesspool to the South.")

Lisa said...

Well, what can I say? I just don't like her enough to see her in Iowa. But I have seen her in like 8 other states. I suspect I'll get to Iowa this summer...